The Wayne County Health Department’s WIC program promotes, supports, and protects exclusive breastfeeding for the first year of life.
All WIC staff members receive breastfeeding training, and support breastfeeding as the normal infant feeding choice. The WIC office also has Lactation Educators with specialized breastfeeding training who provide education and support as well as a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor.
Breastfeeding Peer Counselors help new mothers who are beginning to breastfeed learn what to expect in the first days and weeks. They are available during and after business hours to answer any questions or concerns new moms may have. For Breastfeeding Peer Counselor services call Crystal Knackmus at 618-445-1355.
Breastfeeding Services for WIC Clients…
• Prenatal breastfeeding classes – fathers and families welcome!
• Individual breastfeeding counseling
• WIC counselors receive specialized breastfeeding training
• Breastfeeding support by phone
• Helpline staffed by a Peer Counselor
• Electric breast pump loans
• Referrals to breastfeeding services
WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor