What is the purpose of this service?

WIC is a food assistance program for Women, Infants, and Children. It helps pregnant women, new mothers and young children eat well and stay healthy.

Who can receive these services?

Women and their children who are:

·         Pregnant, breastfeeding or just had a baby

·         Infants and Children under 5 years old (including foster children)

·         Families with a low to medium income

·         Click on the following WIC PreScreening Tool to find out if you might qualify for WIC benefits.

What services are offered?

WIC can provide:

·         Special checks to buy healthy foods - like milk, juice, eggs, cheese, cereal, dry beans or peas, and                   peanut butter

·         Information about nutrition and health to help you and your family eat well and be healthy

·         Information and help about breastfeeding

·         Help in finding health care and other services in your area

How can I apply for WIC benefits?

Call the Wayne County Health Department at 618-842-5166 Ext. 101

How can I apply to accept WIC at my store? (WIC Vendor)

If you are interested in accepting the special checks (WIC Food Instruments) at your store, information is available by calling the State WIC Office at 217-782-2166.

If you would like a toll-free option, you can call the DHS Helpline at 1-800-843-6154.



In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.  

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the                                                                                                                                                                                     , (AD-3027) found online at:   How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: 

 (1) mail:   US. Department of Agriculture
                      Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 
                      1400 Independence Avenue, SW
                       Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
(2)  fax:     (202) 690-7442; or
(3) email: program.intake@usda.gov.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.



The Wayne County Health Department's WIC program promotes, supports, and protects exclusive breastfeeding for the first year of life.

All WIC staff members receive breastfeeding training, and support breastfeeding as the normal infant feeding choice. The WIC office also has Lactation Educators with specialized breastfeeding training who provide education and support as well as a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselors help new mothers who are beginning to breastfeed learn what to expect in the first days and weeks. They are available during and after business hours to answer any questions or concerns new moms may have. For Breastfeeding Peer Counselor services call Crystal Knackmus at 618-445-1355.

Breastfeeding Services for WIC Clients...

• Prenatal breastfeeding classes - fathers and families welcome!
• Individual breastfeeding counseling
• WIC counselors receive specialized breastfeeding training
• Breastfeeding support by phone
• Helpline staffed by a Peer Counselor
• Electric breast pump loans
• Referrals to breastfeeding services